3.8.05

A wonderful surprise!

As is common in my work schedule and workplace, today I had a *change.* One of my regular clients is once again in hospital. This happens frequently in our business and is expected.
Being employed by a Worksite that operates under Union contracts, seniority rules.
What this means is that if there is not 24 hours notice given (to me) and no other client is available to replace the one who is off service with, I get paid anyway. Needless to say, another client is usually found quickly. They are pulled from the casual employees list as a person in a posting gets priority.

When replacing a late cancel, it is not unusual for me to be send to the back of beyond just to make things tidy. Sometimes it makes little sense from a mileage perspective, and in these days of $1 a litre + gasoline, NO sense. I am not a fan of changes of this sort. When I hear that I had a replacement client I was holding my breath.

What a happy surprise! I was sent off to the Wordsmith.
It was delightful to see him. He looks MUCH older but no less dapper. His hearing is atrocious but that does not stop him from chattering away to me with his full arsenal of charm.
Mrs. Wordsmith isn't looking very well. She must be tired.

And how did I thank them for the wonderful surprise?
Why, I knocked over a urinal on the bathroom counter while showering him.
Of course I did not notice until after when the BLEACH water had soaked his clean clothes that I had carefully placed there. The handknit sweater with the tortoiseshell buttons... etc.

Sometimes you just have to take your lumps.
I zipped them into the washing machine and put on a gentle cold rinse, silently praying that it would all work out. (blush)

It has been a long time since I broke, wrecked, smashed or ripped something in someone elses' home. I do remember my most horrifying experience but I will write on that later.
No doubt repeating myself from another time. :)

---------------

Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced and the inconvenience is often considerable.
Austen, Jane 1775-1817 British Novelist