3.8.05

The Law. Up close and personal.

I had occasion to see a Supreme Court Justice- up close and personal- this week.
Fear and trepidation were my companions: after all, I have never been to the Supreme Court.
Of course I was fascinated by every aspect. The lawyers calling each other "My friend" when they clearly LOATHE one another was amusing.

The correct way to address a Justice of the Supreme Court is to say: "M'Lord."
For some reason, no doubt to do with global media and the prevelance of American Culture, I was all set to say "Your honour."

As it turned out, I had nothing to say at all. It was not my case after all. My role was chaffeur, wheelchair wrangler and silent witness to some most odious proceedings. Naturally I sat directly across from the Judge, leaning forward attentively to hear his every utterance. When Counsel for the person I was with spoke, I listened respectfully. When Counsel for the Odious one spoke, I leaned into the empty seats in front of me, straining to catch every inference. Anything I knew to be untrue, I threw a hand to my head, or shook my head or glared in disbelief. After all, it was a closed courtroom and I was there on sufferance. I did disgrace myself on one occasion when an outright lie was mouthed as truth. I said, audibly: "LIAR."

The Lawyer for the party of my interest turned around and I managed to look suitably subdued. No regrets though; not a one.

It is never over. We know how the Odious One conducted the last case of similar, perhaps identical circumstance. Appeal, appeal, appeal. Lie lie lie. I feel very sorry for the Lawyer that is mouthing these disgraceful remarks. She no doubt truly believes what she is saying. At least I hope she does. Otherwise she has joined ranks with evil.

I am delighted to say that the Supreme Court Justice the case was sketched before was fair and courteous to both sides. He was a decent and kind listener, while maintaining his control of the courtroom at all times. He did not repeat himself. I was impressed with his ability to disagree with the legal position presented in a very reasonable manner.

God save the Queen.
Some of her loyal defenders actually are decent folk.
------


"Great liars are also great magicians." -- Adolf Hitler