18.8.05

A Blessing in everything

GodblesstheCBC is in the throes of a labour dispute!
Radio One has turned into some management types wet dream of peurile programming.
Bryan Adams every 1/2 hour. *ugh*

Radio Two seems almost better.
One of the problems our public broadcaster embraces is a tendency to play and overplay the same classical works. Disk drive is fine for those who like Jurgen but not 24/7 please.
The strike-bound Radio Two is diverse and listenable. Someone with a bit of taste is in control.

This is not to say that all regular programming on Radio Two is predictable.
A few of the shows are inspired and even witty.
I love "In the Shadow" which features composers unlucky enough to be contempories of the great lumunaries in the genre. The biographical quips and the empathetical writing of the show make me feel the anguish of the also-gifted.

The morning host (remember I am horrid with names) has this newish segment he calls *cage-match* where he pits composers against each other. I laugh every single morning.

At night, I listen to "Ideas", now generally hosted by Paul Kennedy.
I miss Lister Sinclair, but Mr. Kennedy is most excellent too.
I somehow doubt he will do a segment as risque as the one on female ejaculation that made me almost drive off the road but still.... very good.

The blessing in this is that I am fondly anticipating the end to this Labour Dispute so I can have my CBC back. Come on Corporate people... settle!!

Every bloody Government service has been hacked slashed and mutliated.
The CBC is but a pale shade of what it once was.
For pity's sake, let us keep what we have.