30.8.05

Jackie on the Second Floor

This rotation, I found my schedule full of changes. My co-workers also noticed many changes in their routes too. I like these changes as the mileage is not as crushing to my pocketbook.
The price of gas is so high today I refused to gas up, choosing only to get $10 worth at a time.

Many of our clients live in Care-a-minimums. The swankiest one of all is in my area and today I was back there for a new (to me) person. The suite was on the lowest floor facing west and altho it is protected somewhat by lowlying shrubberies, it still gets very hot in there. The client had 3 air conditioning units ready to be turned on when the day's heat settled upon her.

We were chit-chatting, getting to know one another. I asked about a few people I had known who had lived in the building. I asked in particular about Jackie on the second floor.
'Oh she has been gone for over a year now.'
Gone?

'Oh they moved her to ____ lodge and she died just shortly after that.'

Probably of a broken heart.

Jackie used to tell me how grateful she was that her children had not farmed her out to a Lodge. She had enough money that she probably could have had a live-in companion, but she wanted to keep something for the kids, she said.

She was an incorrigible smoker and loved her gin and tonic.
I never finked her out but someone else did.
God forbid that you live to 88 and own your own place have money in the bank and, horror of horrors, choose to have a drink or three.

In Care-a-miniums, if you do not blend in well, you are in big trouble.
Jackie got in trouble.

Sorry Jackie old girl.
I never thought you would end that way and I wish I had known so I could have been there for you. Only a few blocks from my place, I could have sprung you out every now and then.
For gin.

;)

------------