11.12.05

*fun* day


Today I was not in my usual realm of clients but in a neighbouring area.
I had my regular early morning woman, and my second challenging client who was NOT expecting us at that hour. And then it was off to the otherworlds.

What an interesting people we are.
It is so fascinating to see people distilled down to a purer form of who they were.
Yes, I am talking about dementias. I had two clients who were in assisted living quarters, receiving minimal service, who had severe memory loss. SEVERE. a-n-d- they are doing very well thank you, thriving in the warm and caring atmosphere provided by their *House mother* so's to speak. Some of those women are a joy and a gift. Not all mind you, not all.

The trouble with what we do is that unless you know the client well, a 15 minute visit tends to be just a check-in: no frills nor extras. I was puzzled why we were in one of the homes until I found a small note from a daughter. Bless her heart.

On weekends in these sorts of places, there is no service provided by the House Mom as her job is Monday to Friday. That's when they reach out to the Community.
Of course we no longer do meal prep but naturally that is what was required.

I had a most interesting conversation with another man of my new acquaintence who took fully 45 minutes to decide if he was going to let me prepare his food. The conversation went something like this:
"I threw my food out the second she left. She did not wash her hands. And the other one last night she would not even shake my hand because she has warts. She said she was putting her gloves on when she made my bed but I took the sheets off and washed them. And the other guy: I don't know where the hell they got him but he stood there like a potato."

No kidding.
I just don't know what to say.
Some things leave you speechless.

Of course I saw something myself this week that was amazing.
Our of the most HIGHLY educated Nurse Practitioners crossed paths with me and was changing a dressing. She did NOT wash her hands. She did glove up but still: yuk.

Never too smart to be stupid, I suppose.

-=-=-=-