11.12.05

Darkness, Darkness, be my pillow, Take my head and let me sleep


Long ago times, living at home in the basement, listening to J.B. Shayne, Captain Midnite on CKLG FM radio, on my very own transitor radio. I loved my latenight FM radio, and thanks to the impeccable taste of JB and his ilk, ( Daryl B, John Tanner, Tim Burge, Bill Reiter ) I too developed great taste in music. Thanks guys.

It was Jessie Colin Young singing: " Darkness Darkness, be my pillow,
Take my head and let me sleep
In the coolness of your shadow, In the silence of your deep
Darkness, darkness, hide my yearning,
For the things I cannot see
Keep my mind from constant turning,
To the things I cannot be..."

I can hear that song still: "things I cannot see...."

I was hearing it in my mind as I tended to a Scotsman of stout heart who is fighting for his life when really, there is nothing ahead for him but pain.
"I cannot see anymore, but I know how you look."
He never met me prior to blindness.
"Tell me, what do you see ?"
"I dont quite understand Sir, what do you want me to describe?"
"This is no time for games. What do you see? What DO YOU SEE?"

I know what he means. The answer is in the song.
"Things that cannot be."

He took it like a man,
That is exactly what he meant.

-=-
Darkness, darkness, long and lonesome,
Is the day that brings me here
I have felt the edge of sadness, I have known the depths of fear
Darkness, darkness, be my blanket,
Cover me with the endless night
Take away this pain of knowing,
Fill this emptiness with light now
Emptiness with light now


(Jessie Colin Young)