19.7.05

This Space Reserved

This space is reserved for recording the wonderfulness of my favourite older man.
I got him to give me his recipe for Yorkshire pudding. mmm

It was 1940 when he moved into the home where he still resides. It was a "summer cabin" he purchased from a Doctor. His father asked him if the name of the vendor seemed familiar to him. "well it SHOULD son. That is the man who brought you into this world."
Quite an amazing coincidence.

He rebuilt the whole cabin... twice. That would explain why it looks nothing like a summer home and every inch like the beautiful bungalow it is. I love that he made a pull-down attic. I love that he built the closets on the *outside*. I love that he still has his coal stove in the kitchen. The kitchen that of course, was not in the original floorplan. It reminds me very much of the home I was brought up in. A 1911-ish bungalow. Damn, I still miss that house.
(It was bulldozed in a real estate boom a decade and a half ago. 3 curb to alley houses stand where it was... each one valued around $800,000.00 Damn, again. Why didn't one of us kids buy it?)

My favourite older man told me about the year where a *pointy* was feeding at his orchard.
(A *pointy* being a buck.)
"I was about to get him when *boom*. The fella behind me got him. Kept him in venison all winter."
He was a tad miffed. "I got a 7 pointer the next year though. Made sure to give the neighbour a steak or two for hard times."

Can you imagine trying that now? You would be tarred and feathered and charged with a variety of assorted things.

I just can't imagine how wonderful it must have been for Mrs. Favourite Older man.
Colour me old-timey, baby!
=========

For when, we go out strolling,
The world, can plainly see,
That My, Olde timey Baby,
Is swell, enough,
Is Young, enough,
Is hip, enough for me!

(dan hick and his hot licks)