18.7.05

"I see you got yourself a Ladyfriend!"

He did tell me not to come until quarter to eight in the morning. It worked out otherwise and I was there at seven-thirty, just in time to see him running the carpet sweeper over the living room rug. He was very well dressed as always and today, I caught a whisper of cologne in my nostrils. Thank God it was not Brut or Aqua Velva, it was a soft musk of some kind.

"It is a beautiful morning and you promised to take me on the tour."

Out we went, he with the walker and I with... him and the walker.
We walked up the long long blocks to the railroad tracks. It was a steady incline and I was a little worried about whether or not this would tax his heart overmuch.

We turned about at the tracks.
He waved his hand around and pointed east then west.
" There are a few properties over that way, and there. But mostly it is just bush. The road used to go through up to the Lake there but I don't think it is in use anymore."

I am poor at this area's backwoods trails so I said nothing. I did wonder about the three giant pickup trucks pulling boats that had passed us shortly before the railroad tracks. One had Alberta plates, one Washington state plates and the last seemed local as the driver hooted out the window.

"Yoh Frank! I see you got yourself a Ladyfriend. Way to go!"

Always a gentleman, he pretended not to notice, even though his smile was a mile wide.

We were almost to his gate and the tour of the back 40 when a fellow with a small dog ambushed us. Frank moved to the left, the fellow moved. Eventually it was a collision course.

"Hey Frank! Good to see you out!"

"Hey yourself."

"Is that your Nurse or your girlfriend?"

"Not saying."

"Oh come on..."

"Can't have her. Ok. Nice seeing you. Bye."

I waved to the man who was still trying to make conversation and patted the dog that was trying his hardest to be noticable, and then had to run 4 steps to catch up.

"Can't remember the guys name. Couldn't hear a word he said. All that muttering."

I guess he thinks I was not close enough to catch his remarks to the poor old fella.
I love Frank.
Bless his covetous heart.
-----