2.7.05

Pride goeth before

You know this one.

Pride goeth before a fall.
It does not mean a fall from grace necessarily.... it can mean literally.
Falling is the number 1 way people wind up loosing their independance. It starts out by a fall.
If they are lucky they bounce. Or land well. Mostly though, its a shoulder or a hip that breaks.

Some people do not make it through the repair surgery with all their braincells intact.
Some people stroke out during surgery. Some never come out from the Hospital.
And those who do, are left with permanent pain at the surgery site.
I oughta know.... my client list is stuffed full of people with these scars and complaints.

When I found my little lady on the ground outside the other month, I saw my parent.
When my beautiful Danish lady landed on the tiles last week I saw my parent.
Living at risk is a right we enjoy in Canada. Living at risk to others is not.
Where is the line? When is your right blurring into mine?

Today I had a woman I know and respect tell me she "rescued" my parent.
Apparantly the dog walk went awry and this woman happened along at a critical moment.
She told me she thought if she waited ten more seconds he would be on the ground.

I had the Nurse check in on my parent.
Dire.

SO I suppose it will be another trip to his Doctor to try to explain that yes, my parent is very capable and competant but no, that does not mean lying about pain isnt in the cards.

Fear and willfullness. Bad bad combination.
I know where the road goes. A fall and a lengthy hospital stay.
Please God, don't let it be tonight.
-------