12.7.05

Freely given

I value my time second only to my soul.
Perhaps this is the reason my home is also home to so many timepieces. It is a fascination.
I think it is a folly peculiar to humanity; this notion that we can measure time.
It is all illusion and God's greatest joke. Time matters not.

Because I place such esteem on my own time, I have reverence for others' as well.
Earlier in the week I had an appointment with a very nice man for a shower assist.
This gentle fellow is gravely ill, but some days are better than others.
Without assistance, he would not be able to have any sort of shower at all.
I share the duty with another person who goes on a different date.

Arriving to the home at the appointment time, it was immediatly obvious that something was awry. The little dog who stands guard over her Master met me at the door barking incessantly.
This little critter weighs all of 4 pounds but would lay down her life to defend her family. Such incredible loyalty! I followed the dog into the master bedroom where my client lay in bed.

"No good today?" I said as clearly and loudly as possible without upsetting the dog.

"No, terrible today."

"Did you want to try getting up for your shower?"

He lay there for a full 30 seconds. I could see that getting up would be an effort he was not up to. Not that day at least.

"Just forget it for today," I said. "I can swing by tomorrow and see if you are up to it then."

We blah-blahed a bit about the dog and then I made the quick exit.

Now the thing of it is, that whether I do anything or not, I still get paid for that hour.
And whether he gets service or not, he still pays for that hour.
The catch is that there is a 48hour cancellation window. We are flexible but we like some notice, due to having to pay the schedulled worker. In this case, he would have been billed.

Today I called in and he was much better so into the shower it was.
In, a good thorough wash, and out. He is very unsteady but boy, is he clean!

I just suggested that any shower day that he wakes up and feels horrible, he could call the office and ask them if he can switch the day. That way, billing isnt a worry.

Now, I am certain that money is not as big a deal for him as it may be for others.
But respect is. And I totally understand that.

He was pretty happy today.
And I think I got paid double for my work.
Feels damned good, even if it isn't a financial reward.
-------

"Where your treasure is there your heart is also."
---Jesus