21.7.05

The Chain of Command

Hierarchy.
It has always amused me.

No matter what profession you are in, no matter what your qualifications, there is always a protocal in effect to ensure you are not TOO efficient. Whatever you do, don't violate the chain of command. Orders flow up and down this silly chain, one little rung at a time. Because if they did not, why, chaos would ensue.

I get such a kick out of this notion.
Generally, it is not difficult to ascertain the capabilities of people within a very short time frame. Judgement and wisdom being two of the MOST important skills in our realm, I find that I listen attentively to everyone but some people have endless amounts of minutae to spill out and others a few short sharp incise observations. The trouble in our workplace is that people do NOT share information because they feel unheard. Even when that information is of utmost importance, if they would just think past themselves, some people would rather NOT say anything, thinking it to be none of their business. I always think to myself that someone has to advocate for the client. How can proper care be in place if the facts are not clear?
The system does not like people like me.

r-e-s-p-e-c-t

Given and got. And chain of command be damned.
---