10.10.05

In which I become: The Destroyer! Slaughterer of Computers!

It was a dark and stormy night.
Outside the window, strange sounds could be heard, but not identified.
Inside the only sound was the gutteral sound of Anglo Saxon.
Yes, mighty, might me. I had vanquished yet another computer. Effortlessly.

I had purchased at the local Thrift store a computer for $4.99, untested.
It was a Pentium 2 and had a network card so it was an acceptable backup for me.
In fact it is a great little computer and I was pleased to have it in my backup squad.
This little Seanix has a date on it of 3-20-98. It also has USB ports. I checked the Seanix site for support and they ask for the serial number of the machine. My serial number is 622727.
I click enter, and am told this is not in their data base of Seanix computers.
---Perhaps they only archived after 2000 or something.

And why was I looking on the Seanix site?
well.... my pain erhm, main computer is the Aptiva. Crash crash Aptiva.
I have decided it is adequate to my needs as I can do all my *other* stuffs on my former computer which lives at my parents house. That is, as long as my sister is not visiting.
Then she tends to live on it.

Aptiva oh Aptiva the tortures I put that little beastie through. I paid $5.99 for the Aptiva then had the memory maxxed. It is a good little machine for watching movies on and chattering and blogging and such. Anything else is too much really. But I managed to kill it. And the resusitation required offshore assistance from Morgie and Dada who found for me drivers that the *expert* here in la la land said did not exist. Morg said it took his friend Rad and himself just a matter of minutes. He said we are acccustomed to replacing old things where they do not have that luxury and must learn to fix them. Probably true./;

I had the drivers on a disk. Hurrah I did at least remember to do that.
A nasty nasty virus attached itself to something or other and whammed my little battleworn Aptiva. It ended up I had to do a complete wipe of the HD and a Win98SE re-install.
One teeny tiny problem. I forgot to backup the network card drivers.

Ooops

So I am on this little backup computer now.
One teeny tiny problem here as well. I had the brilliant plan the other night, after 8 or 9pm when my thinking is at it's worse. I reasoned that the drivers should contain the network card drivers too right? I was so sure. So I reinstalled the drivers on the Aptiva from the disk.

Only trouble is:
I wasn't on the Aptiva. I was on the Seanix.
(oops)

So I am typing by grace atm.
Any moment now the video display will corrupt and I will see nothing but vertical bands.
bah

It was a dark and stormy night.

.... yadda yadda yadda..............