16.10.05

*But I didn't tell anyone*

Who needs an alarm clock when cancellations and people taking unscheduled vacations force scheduling to call me at 06:45? Yikes.

My add-on was a client from my regular roster who I do not normally see on Sundays.
I was told she had fallen again. In fact I was told that the person going in found her on the floor and an ambulance was called. Walking in at noon, I asked her "What's this I hear about you falling?"

She was so mad. I had no anticipated that. (obviously)

"I am sick of all you people walking in and asking me how I am after my fall. It was NOT a fall. How do you all know about it? I did not tell anyone. You are the fourth person AT LEAST to ask me about this."

I had to remind her that we are a tight little team and that a fall is a reportable incident.
I also had to remind her that we are in her home precisely for health and safety. People need to be able to accuratly assess the possible dangers for their clients. Knowing who is wombly is very important!

"Wombly? I am no such thing! I merely slipped off the couch, that's all. That is noone's business but my own."

"Not completely correct." I said (daringly) " We really do have a responsibility to you even beyond that you perhaps believe to be appropriate."

Oh she was mad. She maintained that the gossipy morning person had no right to say anything at all. I know exactly what the problem is. She is afraid we will mention this to her daughter.
And very possibly the daughter might throw her hands in the air and force her Mother into a Nursing Home. That is the true issue here.

How many times can she fall before she realises that she really will hurt herself one of these times? How often will she have to hide things from her family? I do not rat her out for minor things but if an ambulance was in attendance I too would be obligated to report it.

After asking her a ton of questions about her position on the floor I am fairly confident she could have gotten up with a minimum of fuss. Had the person who walked in brought a low stool and placed it behind her, likely she could have got herself onto it. And from the stool up to a chair.
And then: home-free. And THAT would have been better. A slide off the couch is not truly a fall. And therefor not reportable. Unless there was another issue such as dizziness or substance overuse.

She is still mad. And oh well.
---