4.8.06

New-to-Me

So many charming people, so little time.
Sometimes I get lucky and actually have the time.
This week I got very lucky.

A cancellation resulted in my getting a new-to-me person.
This person is 97 years old. It is considered to be respite for the family that live with her. The family member met me at the door and told me that her parent would be annoyed as I was not the *regular* girl.
She told me that her parent was terribly deaf and it was very difficult to communicate with her.

I smiled and thought "I dont think so" but I keep such things to myself.
I love love love elderly people and have done so since I was a little girl.
My grandmother was in her 60s when I was born.
The years we grew closer she was in her 80s.
I enjoyed her and her friends more than my own.
Of course mine had the disadvantage of being in their teens.
Hers had long lifetimes.
Such interesting women.
And so willing to share their stories.

Of course this older lady reminded me so much of Grama even though she was Scottish and my Grama was as English as they come.
She shared so many wonderful things with me.
Then I asked her:
"What are you planning for your 100th birthday?"
She looked me in the eye and laughed.
Then she pointed at the ground.

I have to admit I laughed too.
SO very honest.

"I've had a good life. I am ready."

Bless her 97 year old heart.