23.2.06

Quirky peculiar odd and endlessly interesting!

I remember this site when it was campsark.com!
Now it is planetsark. You go girl!

Sark has written these amazing books that are full of vibrancy and colour.
I was drawn to them by the titles.
The one I am thinking of is called: The Bodacious Book of Succulence.

Now it isn't everyone who could write a book like that and get it published.
But Sark isn't just anyone. She is sooo cool. http://www.planetsark.com/studio_meet_sark.htm

She reminds me of a client I met many long years ago who was labelled as a functional schizophrenic. Now isn't that just the most helpful diagnosis and so very condusive to team-work.
"Hi I am your Nurse and you must be....?"
"Oh hi! I am Jim a functioning schizophrenic."
(right)

I am not sure what Jim's real deal was other than that he was incredibly creative and saw life in rich primary colours. He painted his apartment in every hue you can imagine: swaths of scarlet, ceilings of green, doors that were rainbow edged.
It was magnificent.

Brief aside: The similarity of Sark to Jim has nothing to do with mental health diagnosis and everything to do with attitude and joy.
I have no idea if Sark has Public Health Admin types scribbling opinions about her and I doubt she would care if they did. I know I wouldn't.
She touches many lives in wonderful ways.
She is a true healer.
She is a free Spirit in a world that honours fettered freaks.

And now to Jim.
Jim had colour everywhere he touched. He also wrote copiously.
Everywhere in Jim's apartment on every surface available he had journalled and scribbled prose and poetry and shopping lists for joy and peace.
The walls and the floors; especially the floors were covered with these interesting quirky thoughts. I did not meet Jim through the Arts or friends.
He was on my schedule for a dressing change where he had burned himself on his blowtorch. He was sculpting something.

The back yard where he lived contained a small shed which for a few extra dollars a month he rented and used as a studio. The irony was that Jim did some chairs for a bistro and then some downtown gallery owner decided that if Jim would build it, he could sell it. Jim is very successful and much imitated and really really pleased that people like his work. He still lives in the small colourful apartment and still has a few spaces to fill in.

Isn't it interesting that his careplan said: "Functioning Schizophrenic."
I kinda thought it should have said: "Burn to lower leg. Dressing change by HCN. 2x daily medication reminder (for antibiotics)
but that's just me.

I picked up Sarks book today: the bodacious one and I laughed.
I am not laughing at Sark. She is wonderful.
I am laughing with Jim.

He is wonderful too.

-------------- @

btw: the last time I saw Jim I asked him what it was like to be "famous" now.
He laughed and said he had not noticed any difference. His agent deposits the money in his bank account and nothing much has changed except someone has to do his taxes now.

Wonderful!

"We are all splendidly imperfect!' (Sark)