10.3.06

Olden days

"I don't know what I did to deserve that man. He was just so fine. Our children never heard us quarrel."

"Was he older than you Mrs. ___ ?"

"oh yes... by quite a few years. In fact I liked to tell him he started the war and I ended it."

She had told me earlier she was almost 80 but I realised then he was 1914 and she was 1918 making her 88. So she has lost a few years. Oh well.
I love listening to this woman. She tells me the same few stories over and over again due to shortterm memory loss but each time it is fresh and new and rivetting to her. I just love listening. She has such a gusto for life. Even at this diminished level.

She tells me she never aspired to anything at all other than to be a good wife.
She was gorgeous of course and has no idea how attractive she really was and remains.
Her husband likely adored her. She tells me he hated to travel but never begrudged her a vacation so she toured the world while he waited at home. I love that.

I do not do much for her. I am really there just in case she needs me.
Since she doesn't worry much about anything, her adls go by the wayside.
When I show up, with my familiar voice, she toddles off to bathe.
Then she comes back clean and talks my head off.

I love it.

:)

----------------------------- . *