25.4.05

Memory Lapse

Generally it is the client that has the memory lapse. Not always though.

A few months ago I received a terse message on both my cellphone voice mail and my home# from the Nursing Supervisor for one of the Regions. A big cheese.
"Good Morning, how did your visit with Mr. Jones go?"
"Mr. Jones?? What visit is that?"
"Didn't you go to Mr. Jones on Sunday?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because he is not on my schedule. Was I supposed to?"

She sounded very angry.

I was a tad dismayed that her opening line was asking how the visit went when obviously she knew very well I had not gone at all. Is that how they think of me?

---sigh---

Turned out it was not my fault although poor Mr. Jones had been laying in bed waiting for SOMEONE to show up. Noone did. I think he lay there until the next day. As badly as I feel for Mr. Jones, I couldn't have done anything differently. Someone forgot to call me and add him to my schedule.

Frequently with add-ons, the client will be just a one-time visit.
Frequently but NOT always.
I went today to a lovely woman who had surgery a few weeks ago. I met her on Thursday 2 weeks ago for her first visit. Today she asked me why noone came last Thursday.

I had a baaaad feeling.
She had called in but only on Saturday which of course is useless.
I told her anytime someone doesnt who when she is expecting them, call the Office and ask for Scheduling. It means that either the Scheduler or the Nurse/Intake/Worker has made an error.

Apparantly this was my error. I am sure I must have been told to add her permanently but I sure don't remember. I know the Scheduler thinks she added her.

All it takes is one person to call in sick or one client to have an emergency discharge to home with support services of 2+ times daily to screw the whole works up.

Luckily this was a low priority task or this woman would have been raising hell I am sure.

I must be getting old. (er)

-------------------------
Dory: " I suffer from short term memory loss. It runs in my family... At least I think it does... Where are they?" (Finding Nemo)