17.4.05

Last day at home.... nice to meet you.

A few years ago I had a very elderly lady on my roster. She lived with her sister, who was 3 years younger, and her son. I was amazed at her recovery. She was 92 at the time, and had just undergone surgery after a bad fall. I went off the night shift and never saw her again although from time to time I would see her name here and there on worker sheets.

This morning before I even had a chance to start my cellphone rang while I was driving.
After pulling over (and missing the call) I used my caller ID to return the call to the oncall scheduler who was rather surprised. I bet she doesnt know about *98

"I just missed your call. Sorry.. did you need me for something?"

"Oh dear. Noone is where they are supposed to be and I can't reach anyone today. I need someone to go to (ladys name). It is palliative care."

It was the sister. The door was locked but the son was in the carpark so he let me in.
I went in to the bedroom and the thin little lady there was a little surprised to see me.
Poor little maiden lady in her mid-90s requiring personal care by a total stranger.

"I am going into the Lodge tomorrow. "
"oh? You chose that now?"
"No no I had no choice. The Doctor said I HAD to go. My sister is already there you know."
"I did not know. Thank you for telling me."

These two sisters in their late 90s still have dark hair and beautiful skin.
Amazing.

Not that I did a bad job but it was a little awkward not being her regular person and not knowing her habits. She was very gracious.
Bless her heart.

--------------