11.4.05

Finally: I find my peer group!

Here I thought I was a one-off.
Perhaps one of a lost tribe.
People who come to my home, admittedly not many, either think of it as very odd or very cool.
Mostly it is the clocks they wonder about. Why do I need so many.
Need?
Victoriana is how some sum my taste up. It's just me.
Me and a few other n(word for persons in their 90s)-genarians.

Today I had the great pleasure of meeting a woman with compatible taste to my own.
It was so satisfying watching her watching me.
I know it sounds peculiar but there is a palatable pleasure in appreciation.

We were walking past her grande piano and I commented on the Liberace-worthy chandelier that graced its' body. Mmmm piano. Mmmm, crystal.
Past the icons in the hall. Past the gilt mirrors and the watercoloured landscapes, the shelves of leatherbound books the wrought iron settee... etc etc
I looked out the back windows to the 7th green. Light and space.
Not only was her home beautiful, it was livable. And obviously well-used.

We talked about many things; mostly she criticized the state of healthcare.
Not me or my co-workers, the whole Healthcare Industry.
She is a person who strongly believes in holistic medicine.
She did have surgery recently but it was absolutely essential.
Now that she is home, she is working hard at recovery.

I was very happy that she has a health-minded approach to life. She takes greens to replenish her deficiencies. She walks as she can. She plays bridge regularly.
I thought she was around 78, perhaps as much as 81.
She is 93.
YOU GO!!

Boy, I love to see people enjoying their retirements.
Nevermind retirement, enjoying their lives.
I hope she stays as present as she is now, all the days of her life.
-----------------------

If [dabbling in art] didn’t amuse me, I beg you to believe that I wouldn’t do it.” Renoir