22.5.06

Shared Physiology

In honour of Queen Victoria's birthday, we all have an extra day off. Families get together for food fun and in the case of my family, good big jaws about our neuroses.

When you see common traits in families it is easy to think upbringing shapes personality. When you see common compulsions then you might change over to the biology of things. The conversation went something like this.

"I like to collect china. I mean I really like to. I like to rearrange my apartment around things. I like clothes and spending money. I just can't seem to change."

"Never mind about that too much", said I. "It is a cultural thing this spending. At least you know your weaknesses. I collect things too. And worse, I seem to really be compulsive about my collections. I collect shiny things. And have ridiculous amounts of jewellery. And boxes. I collect boxes. And silver. And books. And mexican pottery."

"And clocks" chimed in another sibling. "You and your clocks."

My sibling said: "But I really am compulsive about it."

We digressed onto how everyone in our family seems to have compulsive and obsessive traits including both parents. Then came the topic of sleep problems.

"I had the weirdest night. I could feel this entity at the foot of my bed. I could just sense it was evil. And my cat who was sound asleep suddenly had her hackles up and was growling at the exact area I could sense the thing. And then, worse, as I was falling off to sleep, I could feel my body and my spirit trying to separate. It was an effort of will to stop myself from leaving my body."

It wasn't me speaking either.

So, it's official. We are all nuts.

Peanuts, coconuts and fruit loops.
And double helixes.



---------------------- + + *