14.5.06

More Wildlife

The neighbour was trimming the hedge again today.
As I sit at my computer gazing outside I notice a huge animal walking the fence and for a moment I think *mutant rat* before my brain stops sending adrenil responses and I realise it is a raccoon.

Do raccoons eat rats?
O I kinda hope so.

I am such a city-chick.
*boggle*

When I first moved here I had a home that was huge and right by a wildlife sanctuary. One night my dog went insane barking and yelping. I looked outside the patio which was out to a long slow ravine ending in the wilds. There is a river there. I saw a pair of yellow eyes looking in. I looked spellbound thinking it was a very large cat, which indeed it was. Cougar.

Of course noone believed me and I thought perhaps I had mistakenly seen a huge domestic cat..... until my neighbour at the foot of the hill said to me:
"You know there was a cougar out here 4 nights ago. We haven't seen one for almost 15 years down here. They usually don't come down this far unless they are starving."

Raccoons are much more acceptable.
---------- +