8.9.04

Thief! Thief! We hates it forever!

Net-i-quette!
I failed net 101. I bet you did not even know there was a test on it.
Neither did I to be sure, but I just got my grade courtesy of a cute little site I wanted to link to.

I suppose I am from the archaic mindset where the internet means the free sharing of information.
I also enjoy radio. I believe radio should be free. I certainly would not advocate charging people for listening to broadcasts. Chronically behind the times am I.

The irony in this (to me) is so clear. After all I made reference to a well-loved work of fiction that Hollywood has taken over. Prior to it's multi-Oscar film adaptation, the Lord of the Rings was a cult status work. It's originator, Mr. J.R.R. Tolkien never quite understood the celebrity it brought him. Imagine what he would think today. You have to beg permission to even say something remotely middle-earthish without threat of lawsuit. Ah well.

So be sure to scroll down to my post on "Red like Braveheart" and click on the link to the Hobbit. See, it's ok to be dissed by an image of Ian McKellan, but it is not okay to point people to a map on their site.

I know, I know... it's all about bandwidth. But how many people read this blog of mine anyway?
Noone much.
And isn't it good to share?
Apparantly not.
======================

That fall, I remember, was the first time when a man of our village refused to share a deer he had killed. Instead of giving away the heart, the hindquarters, and the forequarters, he gave only the neck and kept the real meat for himself. ------
That same man was the first person to own a car on our reserve. He had been disgraced and ridiculed throughout the Shuswap. But he was a pioneer in introducing European progress.


George Manuel & Michael Posluns' The Fourth World: An Indian Reality (1974).