13.9.04

Priorities

When the Schedule is made up for the workload, there is a certain formula followed.
First priority are the clients who require full assistance with 2 workers.
Second priority are meds that are time specific.
Same for Palliative clients. They are accomodated as closely to their desires as possible.
The lower priorities are people who no imminent life-threatening illnesses.

I had one of those days where nothing seemed to be in my favour.
My schedule was changed after my 1st client.
The woman I went to was not one of my own. She is a lower priority client as pertains to the above. I was going there inbetween a woman in the advanced stages of Parkinsons and a gentleman battling brain cancer. I am not quite certain why they sent me, possibly it was a seniority issue. Anyway, I was roundly chastised for improper pouring of milk. Oh, and poor drying skills. Did I mention I forgot to open the back door? You know, all the really important things in life. I smile and do it all uncomplainingly, and then, as I leave, the woman apologises profusely. *bah*

-----------------------------------

We are still struggling trying to get the gentleman with brain cancer's edema under control. He has opted for more treatment.
He wants to live. Boy does he want to live.
He takes anti-cancer drugs and Diuretics which keep things moving along.
The trouble is that the drugs work so well his skin is weeping all the time.
Even compression stockings cannot hold the water back.
What happens then is that the skin just tears off in strips. It is hard to keep a handle on this. Every day there is a new open spot. It is a real challenge.

Not everyone is good at doing dressings. I am lucky in that the morning worker going into that gentleman takes the time to do a very good job every day. I love it when people are slotted where they can soar like eagles. It is doubtful you would ever read this Marilyn, but this is to let the world of blog-readers know you are a great person who does an excellent job.

------------------------------------

Aristotle:
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.