16.9.04

~* Fawlty

Whenever I am a little down in the mouth, I watch my little stash of "Fawlty Towers" episodes.
"The Psychiatrist"
(teeheeheehee)

My mouth is not happy. It will be soon though.
I have inherited a jaw problem that ten years ago I never really gave thought to.
It was a minor issue in my teens, but after an accident during tournament baseball, I began a long series of visits to the dentist. At first it was a niggling pain I thought was in my ear.
Then it was a throbbing in my right cheek. The throbbing became a drumbeat and now, 4 root canals, one endotontic root canal, 3 broken teeth now recrowned and 35% loss of range of motion later, I am willing to get braces to correct this bugger of a problem.

The worst of it is that my smile looks dazzling.
Noone would ever believe that I could have a problem when they look at my beautiful teeth.
Of course they do not realise they are looking at a dental masterpiece.
Twenty years and about 60k worth. All that money and still it is hurting.

Am I whining or is this really a problem?
Trust me... its a HUGE problem.
I rarely sleep more than 4 hours without waking up to a grind clench or tic.
Having a cramp while speaking is common also. My chin muscle is in spasm. I have a dimple where it should be smooth.

Massage to unclench my jaw is part of my weekly routine now.
The four broken teeth were night troubles. One I swallowed, the other three were found in the bed.
This with a custom made nightguard on!
I have spent more money on my mouth than I have on this little condo I live in.
And yet, the pain never relents.

After having to have a crown replaced I finally gave in and went for consultation with an Orthdontist. He x-rayed, measured and examined me for hours, and then made a jig that would force my jaw to relax. I wore this for 2 weeks. Then they remeasured.
I had the suggested treatment outlined for me and decided to go for it.
After all, if its a bugger now what will it be like in 5 years? Or ten?

I had the extractions necessaryto make the room to move my teeth over yesterday and next week will get my wires on.
The tooth did not want to come out and decided to break at the root. (wince)
A huge dosage of prescription Motrin and some muscle relaxants have got me in snoozeland.
So the care lane is at a full stop whilst I care for myself.

Not for long tho: I return to work Monday.
Fortunatly I booked a week of holidays around the time the wires go on.
Two years of this and I should have a working jaw and a mouth that opens properly.
With some very good luck I might even be able to sleep through the night.
HURRAH!
==============

The teeth are smiling, but is the heart?
- Congolese Proverb