3.6.05

Through the Looking-Glass

Curiouser and curiouser.

Perhaps I am hampered by too much education. I see things that are reportable and I report them. My definitions are mandated by the employers rules. Perception is not that large a factor; or so I thought.

Walking into a situation where two people who live together are out of control, I assess the danger to myself before acting. One of the two people is the client. The other person gets verbally aggressive and does measures of control we would not under any circumstances be able to justify. Do I overlook it? Just a bad day?

No. I cannot overlook it. But my co-workers can.
Then it becomes MY problem as the only person who feels a situation is unstable.

If I behaved in a manner close to what I witnessed, I would pray that everyone would report me. It would mean I was so far out of control that my future held only rage and despair.
Improper restraint. Verbal threats. Physical punishment. Anger anger anger. Meds delivered through choking. Pain and despair. Loss and grief.

My employer let me down on this one.
Oh, they followed up on the report, but neglected to advise me they had visited in a heavy-handed manner and sent me back there the very next day. A cool reception. A very cool reception.

It is hard having values that are so set.
I have known many people in varying stages of profound grief and loss. My knowledge-base is about a thousand times what my co-workers is through the combination of age and experience and training to work in crisis situations albeit a different field.

I am about as popular as the Plague right now.
Wonderland every day. Oh well.
Perhaps I too will wake under a tree hugging my cat.

-------------------------