17.6.05

"Surely you can see, I require much much more!"

A failing client went limp in my arms. Her pulse was weak, and her breathing the tell-tale stop-stop-deep sighing of those near death. Repositioning her on her pillows, brushing back her hair I excused myself to the family and left the home. It was their time.

The next stop was Our Lady of the Chronic Complaints. She was annoyed that day. Very annoyed indeed that we would insist upon using transfer belts to get her up or put her back to bed. She is so tiny, she just could not fathom that we would or could be harmed by a repetitive strain injury brought on by someone who refuses a safe transfer.

"Just try it my way this last time. Please?"
--- sucker----

Her way is to lean far over her bed where she is lurching in an unusual position, absolutely remembering not to touch her until she is ready. Then, upon her queue and only upon her queue, she requests to be held by the outside of her pants. Firmly, but not allowing your hands to come into contact with her body whatsoever. She will slowly, very slowly make her way over to the edge of the bed all the while chastening and reminding not to let go of her.
When at the edge of the bed, she wishes to be assisted to a standing position. This involves you bending over at an awkward angle, an unsafe angle, continuing to hold firmly onto her pants. "Your knuckles are bruising my ribs!" she shouts. My knuckles are facing outwards not inwards, but still she shouts.

She stands, Oh surprise she is not weight bearing.
Then you quickly position her into the wheelchair and of course she shouts about not being ready and how it was too fast. You now, most likely, have incurred a strain injury.

I reported and reported and documented and finally the edict came down:
No transfers at all to be done without the belt on. She is to put her own transfer belt on.

I told the Therapist: "I will believe it when I see it."

She tried again the next time I saw her. I got the belt and laid it across her wheelchair.
"Oh you are not using that are you?"
"Yes."
"I only agreed to it because *they* said you girls are not covered by compensation unless you use it."
"Yes."
"I am so tiny. Surely you girls can see how you hurt me when you mishandle me."
---silence from me

"Surely, you can see I require MUCH more care than most of your patients. Don't you speak with the Office?"
"Yes."
"Well you need to tell them I am not an ordinary client. I need MUCH more care than most."

She did not get up that day.

The next client I went to was a medication reminder, cancer drugs.
The client is getting minimal service, lives alone, and could do with alot more assistance through the disease process. Sadly, this client does not get the help.

-------