9.5.05

"Just a cuppa tea thank you dear"

We do the job whatever that is, however defined by our written instructions, whereever we are sent. For me, that generally means alot of personal care, and things a person would want to do themselves if they could manage it. When a client is able, I just assist. When a client is palliating and weak, I do it.

The PPS scale we use, indicates to me before I enter the home what to expect.
I had a woman assessed pps30 decide to get up and take a bath alone. Locked herself in the bathroom to prove the point (and desire for independance). You just never know!

A very lovely person I met recently, was reticient regarding personal care. It was a strong boundary that she would not yield. Every day I went, and every day she declined.
"Just make a cup of dear, dear. That is what I would like best to do."
We floated in tea for 2 weeks an hour at a time. She could barely keep her eyes open and was having trouble making it through the night, but she would not use a walker thank you VERY much nor would she leave her bedroom unless fully dressed, lipstick on.

On the weekend just before Mother's Day, she and I were alone for a few hours.
"Let's use the fine china today. Just a minute."
She wobbled over to the dining room and took out her best dishes. I made the tea and poured into her wedding present cups. She went into the pantry and got out truffles.
Tea and truffles. We talked about men and gardens and all things lite.
And then it was time for me to go home.

She went to hospital an hour later. After I left.
But we had a wonderful cuppa. And the truffles were very good.

It was hard honouring her path.
But we honoured it.

-----------------------
"When the going gets tough, the tough eat chocolate."
--ME! (and millions of other women)