15.5.05

Cornelius Wilheim (part 2)

Cor was rushed to the Hospital following his accident. The Doctors advised his family, the ones who weren't in Emergency surgery, that he would not make the morning on this side of the temporal veil. In the morning, duely shocked and amazed, they revised that to the Weekend.
"3 days at best, better make some plans."
Friday morning, gathered around his bedside to say goodbye, the Doctor leaned over Cor to check some function or other. He made some remark about his failing and Cor's eyes flew open.
He lifted his head and looked at the Doctor in annoyance.
"Stop telling everyone I am dying. I am not going anywhere."
Having said that, he went back into his little sleep. Naturally he recovered.

I loved Cor deeply. He was my father-in-law once upon a time.
I toyed with going to his funeral but I have my own father stuff happening and really, I should have gone to see him alive, not show up gratuitously after his end. I have the ultimate respect for the family inviting me. How very decent.

----------------------
Ceremony is necessary as the outwork and defense of manners.
Lord Chesterfield