13.6.07

Another Warrior felled



Sometimes the strongest warriors are the gentle ones.

A year ago, this lovely man, looking transluscent, shook my hand and looked into my eyes and thanked me for taking time on a morning to sit down with him and chat. He was critically ill and already past the day when it was expected he would join the choir invisible.

This week I had the sad news that the gentle warrior went on to other realms.
Kendall was his name, and he was a friend of mine. He used to come for the Friday morning breakfast club at the local A & W when he was well enough. His cancer was slow and insidious, but it never ever triumphed over him. He was a man who lived and died with cancer, but not of cancer.

This quote is for you, Sir Kendall:

"Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." -- (Sarah Williams)