26.9.06

Gone

An elderly woman who was a Community client for a few years prior to her placement in extended care just passed away this week. This happens every week of course but some you feel the loss and others you nod and send a prayer.

This particular woman was very capable and extremely sharp tongued. It was her way of coping with life in a wheelchair. She baked the best pies, sewed the nicest clothes and followed everyones life but her families with compassion and care.
Interesting, no?

She also weighed about 400 pounds and had an angel lift.
I met her the day she got the new lift after her private worker quit due to an injury. Apparantly he is still off 6 years later.

Virtually every person who was a regular worker in her home sustained an injury. Not everyone realised it was from her place as it came out in other homes for some but believe me, it was from her.

She had the lift but she refused to use a hospital bed. Her legs were like rocks and she could not lift them on her own. The moment you touched her she started loudly complaining about the pain. I am sure she had alot of pain. I am also sure she caused alot of pain.

When she went into facility I was the only person on the team who never went to visit her. I just could not find the strength. It is a boundary. As a paid person I can be whatever and whoever she wants within the bounds of my employers rules. As a person, no. I cannot.

So here's to you Mrs. Everyone's business.
Long life well lived, on your own terms.

-------- *