4.6.06

Creativity & Chaos

A firm link exists between the need for order and a chaotic mind.
Interestingly, the creative process seems to overwhelm the cleaning process in my case. All this thinking.... (no lint today either)

Doug with a hug used to say: "Orderly things amuse disorderly minds"
and I am sure it was me he was thinking of when he taped it to his fridge.

Puzzling over things can take me away from everything and everyone.
Another person of my acquaintence who had a head injury also finds it insufferable to be in the company of others for long. Like me, he can drift off into a contemplative state and forget dishes, laundry, dinner. Unlike me, he does not have anyone else to worry about that can force you to attend to such things.

Walking in my door today, I remember thinking yesterday when time was all I had, that I chose not to do anything about the chaos within. I wanted to read and think and read and not think. As my door opened I looked down the long hall to the living room and felt some small shame. Can this really be MY house?

A few months ago I scalded my arm whilst cooking for a family event. I was so into what I was doing I didn't even feel it. Two days went by until another Nurse grabbed me and said: "Jeez put a dressing on that, would you?"
I was genuinely surprised to see a large patch by my elbow with one dismal pink layer of skin left. THEN I felt it. Believe me.

Left to my own devices and desires, with a sufficient income, I suspect I would be the cat lady. Except: I don't care for cats. They are the spawn of Satan... aliens from another planet. The advance guard of invaders....

Not cats but perhaps I would be surrounded by chocolates and books never emerging from my chaos.

Parallel lives.

A few of those cat-lady types are folk I visit.
I see myself. Oh dear.

----------
Everybody thought I was a bit of an eccentric for wanting to be out there looking at the stars, but I still do.
Brian May