24.1.06

The Change in Farming

There is a wonderful CBC feature on this very topic that has almost nothing to do with what I wish to say, but is incredibly worth a listen.
( THAT version of this topic, "The Change in Farming", by Adam Goddard, won the 1999 Prix Italia for Best Cultural Radio Documentary of the Year and the Premios Ondas International Radio award in Spain.)

Oh to heck with it-- let's talk about THAT version first.
I heard this on *Out Front* back in '99 I guess. Possibly it was later and a re-broadcast, but it impacted me tremendously. I was delighted that Adam Goddard took the time to listen to his Grandfather's stories, let alone record them. He was just as interested in the musical tone of his Grandfather's voice, perhaps moreso, than the content of what he was saying. It is a stunning piece and a repository copy sits at http://www.thirdcoastfestival.org/pages/archive01.html

It reminds me of the things I hear at work all the time.
It reminds me of the Farmer I recently met who will soon be meeting God.

Go listen to Henry.
We can talk about the other change(s) in farming another time.
This one is for you, Henry.

* ---------------------