1.10.04

tic toc tic

One of my friends unwittingly gave me my motto:
"You can never have enough time"

We were talking about clocks.
I have a minor obsession with chronological devices. I am really a closet matho-holic.
(I LOVE that link. This person is a definite pale shade of me or the inverse)

St Augustine said that 'Time may not only be queerer than we imagine,
but queerer than we can imagine.' I have a good imagination. It is spilling out everywhere.

What, then, is time?
If no one asks me, I know what it is.

If I wish to explain it to him who asks me,
I do not know.

My house is a home for wayward clocks. It started as a fascination with cylindrical music boxes. I love the idea of weights and measures as a means of knowing your place in time and space. Or what you perceive to be....

Now every room in my house has at least 2 clocks except the powder room which has been spared. It is my oasis within time's illusion. The funny thing is that although clocks capture my attention, time matters not. We are here in this illusion but I do not believe we really exist in the way most of us would like to believe. Now before you think I am about to go all Matrix-y on you, its just a way of looking at life. My way. My life.

I picked up a vintage Bulova watch from the clockmaker yesterday.
It was in awful shape. Being an optimist I gave the clockmaker 1.5 years to fix it.
He came in a little late but its working.
Generally the vintage watch I wear is a very nice Rolex but lately I have been wearing nothing at all surrounded as I am by all this time at home.

This little Bulova has the curved glass and a missing second hand on a secondary dial on the face but it is special because it was a gift to my father from my mother in the early 50s.
*sigh happily*
Dad looked at the clockmaker and said brightly:
"She has over 100 clocks in her house!"
Perhaps he is still trying to make sense of it. I know he thinks I am a little odd.
Perhaps affirmation from the Clockmaker would make it all right.

It is just so wonderful to see attempts at quantifying the universe.
Archaic before their creation and yet so endearing.
Tic toc tic.

======================

In other news: work beckons.
*gasp*
=======================

"All my possessions for a moment of time"
Last words of Queen Elizabeth I of England and Ireland 1533-1603


"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity"
Henry David Thoreau 1817-62