9.10.04

Our search for significance

Human beings are hard-wired for the perilous pursuit of seeking significance.
It is not that we shouldn't, it is more that we search for it in all the wrong places.
The God-shaped hole in our souls remains empty as we try to fill it with glory or gold or fame.
We find life disappointing and full of regret. Where is God now?

Pursuing property, power, pride, position... we have turned pride and passion inwards. We push pleasure into something of benefit chiefly to ourselves. I believe this is a primal need.
"Tell them I mattered."
Maslow's hierarchy was one of my chief interests in Nursing studies. It ranks Food and Safety only as less compelling than our need for significance. It is the addiction of our time.
It is honoured and lauded by our culture. Awards of every type on every channel.
Oh to matter!

Psalm 29 is my new mantra for this struggle.
" Ascribe to the LORD, O heavenly beings, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.

2 Ascribe to the LORD the glory of his name; worship the LORD in holy splendor."

That about covers it.

------------------

I read the most amazing book this week. It was written by Umberto Eco.
"Foucault's Pendulum"
(and I thought I had brains)
It is an extremely witty novel rife with irony of the sort I love.
It is also a committment. I do not think I have ever read so many inter-related factiods in my entire visual memory's life, with the possible exception of Tolkien. Even there, I could not hope to put them all into a novel let alone one with a decent plot.

Upon completion I went to the Web to read reviews. I did this primarily because I had never heard of this novel prior to buying it. The reviews were of two schools: One black and one white. One camp pronounced it *unreadable* and the other announced its' brilliance.
Count me white. I was amused and amazed and entertained.
I also am one of those people who do not believe anything provable by mathematics.

It hurt my head a little trying to follow the twists and turns until I realised with a laugh it did not matter one whit. M. Eco really is a very clever fellow indeed!

-------
I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.

-- Foucault's Pendulum, Chapter 87