28.8.04

Not everyone loves me

Always be a little kinder than necessary. That is my motto.
It has served me well throughout my life and continues to inspire me to be better.
Every now and then I wish it was the motto for others. Usually when I am thinking this, it means someone is unimpressed with me OR even worse they just want me to go away, preferably now.

In my regular life, if people do not like me-- ohwell! It's a big world and we can all fit. If you do not like me just go over there ------------------------------------------------------>
way way way over there!
In my work life if people do not like me, I make the best of it. A time or two I have almost bitten my tongue off being nicer and kinder. Here are a few of the ones who really wish they never met me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Debutante and the Famous Scribe.

These two were a pair in glorious love; she the beautiful daughter of a reknowned family and he the up and coming young man. They married and had beautiful babies and as his career unfolded and the people who attended their parties got more important on a GLOBAL scale, their relationship steadied into a long romantic lifelong love.

Retirement had been 20 years ago and since then a few diseases had taken hold of both of them. He seemed outwardly healthier, she seemed frailer. Not necessarily the true way of things.

He explained to me very carefully that theirs was a house of SERIOUS disease and to be as quiet as possible. He further explained they really did not need anything but continued the service as it was easier to continue than to restart. I thought privately it was a colossal waste of HealthCare dollars.

In the beginning he would tell me how helpful I was, how wonderfully everything went during my visits. A phonecall changed all of that.

I walked in one evening and he seemed a little annoyed. The telephone rang.
"You might as well get it, it is for you."
I got it. It was an urgent matter. One of my later clients was a serious risk. There was some violence issues and the Case Manager wanted to make sure that I was adaquately prepped for the assignment as it was a Friday night and noone but the On call Pager would be my back-up. She had alot of information and she was very concerned. When I hung up, I was trying to assimilate all these facts and stood in the hall.
"That must have been a very important phonecall."
"Yes Sir. It was."
" You must be a pretty important person."
"No Sir. It is just a serious situation I am going to later on. That was a safety check call."
"Well I have news for you. We are important too."

hmm.... was I showing some rude dismissive qualities? I did not think so.
He gave me a little lecture about the importance of himself and his wife.
I nodded and thought nothing more of it until the next week when he did it again.
The difference was that wherever I went in the house he would call out some rude comment about what I was doing being wrong or loud or whatever. He was making me a little pissy but I took pride in not showing it.

Bad went to worse and one night he said to me: "I cannot believe you still come. Can't you take a hint?"
"You are on my list. I am obliged to come unless you cancel."
"Consider it cancelled." *slam*
-- and then:
"If I sign a paper will you leave?"

I had already told the Office not to send me there. He was just not going to have me in their home and that was it. One of them had some surgery and needed aftercare. I got her on my list for a 15 min visit. I queried it and was told surely I could cope for 15 mins. Yes, surely I could,

It was pouring rain. I knocked on their door and it was a fully 5 minutes before he came and opened it. "You are late!"
He was yelling.
"My poor wife has been waiting while you do whatever it is taking your time."
I was choked. I had just driven about 35 minutes to get there. There was noone else working the area that night.
"Sir, it is raining pretty hard. Can I please come in."
"When I am told 7:30 pm I expect you to be on time."
It was 7:40

She was just as bad. "Are you sure you are trained to do this?"
"You missed my eye."
I felt my danger valve rocking so I turned to her and verbally assured her the drops were in, while she went on about how I had gotten more on her cheeks and blah blah pissy blah and he started in his rant again.

I turned with the meds and handed them to him and said: "Perhaps you will want to do this yourself then Sir." I picked up my things and left.
"Goodnight Sir. Goodnight Ma'am. Have a PLEASANT evening."
I make sure to tell the Case Manager not to send me there for one minute five minutes or bloody 35 seconds.

"You certainly did rub them the wrong way," she commented. "Whatever did you do?"
"I used the phone."

She thought I was kidding.
I saw the woman one more time after her husband was gone. She did not recognise me right away but when I was leaving she suddenly got a little gleam in her eyes.
I just left.

Moral of the story?
nah, no moral.
Some people are just way too important for the likes of me.
Not enough bowing and scraping in my skillset.
Cheek of the working class.