24.8.04

Mrs. D Divine

Mrs. D came on my client list in the evening shift. Thursday night bath night, no showers THANK YOU very much. It might sound easy but factor in a prothesic leg and legal blindness and a good old age and the result is tricky.

She lived in the proverbial little old house down the lane with an oil stove that heated the living room and kitchen. The bathroom was cobbled on at the back down one BIG step where I imagine the back door to the outside plumbing had been once upon a time. The bathroom was too small for one; you could not turn around without opening the door. She would get into the tub by clutching the sink and maneuvering herself *magically* over and in. In was not a problem. Out was.

The time was growing short on the days when this would be feasible. I offered all sorts of alternatives. There is a bathbus after all that picks clients up and takes them to the beautiful tubs of the care homes in our area. Not for everyone, certainly not for her. I told her that until the day where she could no longer get out of the tub I was willing to help. If for some reason she could not make it out I would be obliged to call 9-1-1 as we are a no lift workplace. Until that day we would carry on.

We were both in the same Sun sign. I would read her our weekly "horriblescopes" and we would chuckle madly. Sometimes we would just sit and chat about the ways in which we would change the world if we had that power. Never did she complain or mope or moan.

I was off for 2 months. When returning to my usual clientelle, I was shocked to find Mrs. D. almost teary-eyed at my entrance. "I am so glad it is you."

She was smaller and seemed to be fighting some sort of bug, but had been denied a bath or two having had to resort to spongebaths was not going to miss her big chance to get in the tub again. The water would be warm and she would be able to lounge and soak for 15 mins or so after the essentials were done.

God bless her but that was the night she couldnt get out. She couldnt even get up. It was not warm out. The little room was cooling down as the water drained out. The panic in her face as she told me: "I can't get up. I just cant."

I got a towel a jumbo extra large towel and got in behind her. We wrapped it around her waist twice and I squatted down behind her firmly holding the towel with both hands and told her to get up on the count of 3. We did it and I had her out and on that board in moments. She cried happy tears and I had to call in an extra 15 minutes which I would not normally do but it put me so far behind I would be 35 mins late meeting up with another worker at 11:30.

Naturally I got in a spot of trouble over that. I maintained it was not a lift merely an assist.
We actually had a video in our resource room showing that exact assist which is where the idea had sprang into my mind from. The Supervisor walked into the resource room and removed the video. (!!) It is not that I am unusual in my practice. I am just honest. Other workers do not admit to anything. They are afraid they will get in trouble. Me, I AM trouble. ;)
Been the boss too many years to start being a weeny now. hah.

Dear Mrs. D. it was indeed a nasty bug and she was gone not long after.
I remember that night as I left tucking in her bed she reached out and pulled me close and hugged me tight. She said again: " I am so glad it was you. Thank you."

Thank YOU Mrs. D.
Always a pleasure.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=