22.8.04

dropping on by and by

When I first started my little career in Community Nursing I decided that I would keep a list of those I cared for who passed on from the now to the forever. The first few people I diligently recorded all my notions and felt this to be a necessary task to both honour them and to keep myself aware of their humanity. It is awful when a Nurse treats the disease better than they treat the person.

One of those lists dropped out of a book not so long ago and gracefully reminded me of my clients of the prior year. So many names. Oh so many memories. This prompted a visit to the Office. I took down the "Memory Book" and looked at all the people listed. Dozens of clients. After reading for a good half hour I jotted down some names. I will post about them in a little while.

There is something sacred in end of life care. Watching the door of eternity open just for a moment and the departure of a being. It is amazing. Anyone who does not believe in God nor life after death should be a Palliative Care Worker.

I thank God for the chance to actually have some meaning to my work.