21.7.06

Permission to go ashore, Sir!

We all seek approval. We all need permission for things we have trouble with.
Over and over again, I see those at the brink of death hover.
The body is done, but the spirit keeps the person going.

Many times in this situation, all that is needed is for someone to give the dying person permission to leave this earth.

One such gentleman is of my acquaintence now.
He continues to defy all logic and medicine by remaining alive.
He has lost 100 pounds and a limb, his hair and most of his strength and yet, he lives on, months after his prognosis deemed it impossible.

Today I gently suggested to his wife that she should consider giving him permission to go.

"I don't know what you mean, dear."

"Many times", said I, "People seem to stay around because they are worrying about their spouses and loved ones."

"Yes", she agreed, "he always tells the Doctor he worries about me."

I will continue to suggest this to her and perhaps one day soon she will hear what I am saying. Meantimes, a frail gentle man lies quietly, worrying.

------- *