22.3.05

Back home goes Bill

Saw an obituary today for ol' Bill. He had been in a Lodge but was transferred to the regional Hospital where he passed on. I am very glad he was in a setting where 24 hour a day care was possible. Bill, I will always cherish the things you shared with me and keep safe your secrets from the days of your carefree past.

What a man, what a life.
Well-lived indeed!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Tuesdays my schedule sends me North up the long winding highway through the little seaside enclaves of recluses and nouveau riche. One property will be a derelict trailer dropped on the beach and next door a 3 story new palace stands looking down. Changes are everywhere.

The morning air was crisp and clean with a hint of the North Wind chilling things. I took a moment to watch two young eagles fishing. They were in competition with a few hundred gulls.
The gulls were winning. Further up the road, as I came around an S-curve, a postcard perfect view of the mountains, usually obscured by cloud. It was breathtakingly sharp. On my right the whitecaps were pounding the shore; on my left the forest was thinning visibly from last year. Developement is here NOW. I am not sure I am ready for it.
It is one thing to have a thriving economy. Another to have a stable and sustainable economy.
I think I shall soon see everything I value about my lifestyle here threatened and/or destroyed.

It is hard to bear witness.
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"You shall have joy, or you shall have power, said God; you shall not have both"
Ralph Waldo Emerson quotes