21.11.04

Wild wild west

As a documentary airs on PBS about some fellow in 1960 who filmed his wilderness journeys, I am basking in the warmth of my blankie and contemplating bed. This man felled the trees, build the cabin, fetched rocks, make a fireplace that works just great, an outhouse, a smoker and more.
Supplies (meagre) were dropped in by air in the Autumn.

Now I see the inside of his cabin. He is cooking peppery ram stew. The ram was taken down with one shot. Although this is 42 years ago, it seems like centuries. Can anyone in this year 2004 truly get totally away from the world?

The closest I get to communing with Nature these days is my morning sunrise coffee drank at the beachfront. I sit and watch the waters. This morning there was a Blue Heron standing in the waters a few metres in front of my car. It made me sad. There should have been a pair. They mate for life. Poor lonely Heron.

A couple of seals were playing further out in the Bay. A sprinkle of water and a leap followed by loud splashing. They seem to be having such fun. One of my clients told me she saw a whale one year in the Bay. I am not putting any bets on that one.

-------------------**
'We need the tonic of wildness
We can never have enough of nature'
Henry David Thoreau