24.11.04

Step back from the fire!

Burnout alert in carelane #1.
Tread lightly!

It is such a wonderful idea to keep people in their own homes should they wish to end their lives there.
The day to day dynamics are complicated.
24 hours in a day. Families HAVE to cope during some of those hours without help.
Providing 120 hours of service a month in a home is considered the maximum time allottment.
That covers 4 hours a day. A palliative client may also get overnnight service.
*may*

Palliative or not palliative, that is the question.
Funding is based on income. Anyone can get anything they want if they can pay for it.
Otherwise there is a per diem. For most it is worthwhile.
But not all.

When family members burn out from too many emotions, they are likely to blame someone for their state of mind. I hear it alot .
"The Office is driving me crazy. They tell me someone is coming at 8 and they don't show up until 8:30."

"Do you know how many times I had to get up last night to check on Dad/Mom/whoever ? "

"How much time did they give you today? They promised me x amount. They have been gyping me."

When my mother was so ill, we did recognise the burnout and hired privately. It cost alot of money but for us it was worth it. After Mom was gone we were still somewhat sane.
People do have the right to die at home if they so wish.
But sometimes, their loved ones make it impossible to meet their expectations.

Todays' burnout victim got a nod and some comforting noises from me. The Care Coordinator and Palliative Care Coordinator are the ones she needs to call.
That's why I work the short shift. Do my thing and come on home. Still fresh.
The ranting is ok. I can listen. For the people in the ten hour window shifts it can be hard to take.
So on behalf of them, I sit down and listen completely for 5 to 10 minutes once a week.
It seems to relieve enough pressure that the person can make it a little longer on empty.

Been there. Done that. Took the training.
========================

"I do not ask how the wounded person feels. I simply become that wounded person."

-Empathy Quotes
Winston Churchill