9.12.04

A little eavesdropping....

Ole Bill told me a very funny story this morning,
He was harkening back to the days on the Farm when winters were long and joyless and the nearest neighbour was 4 miles away.

"How did you find out the news Bill? Did you have a radio?"

Nah not back then."

"Did you get a newspaper?"

Are you kidding? Noone would deliver out in the middle of the prairie!"

"Well what did you do for news?"

Oh hell we used the phone."

"Was it a crank phone?"

Oh yeah we were one long and 4 short that was our ring. Whenever you wanted to know anything at all you just picked up the phone and listened. There was only one line north of Calgary and we all shared it.

I remember Aunt Lil was telling me about this old bachelor who liked to give her a call now and then. One night he called up to tell her about his hunting adventure.

It was the damnedest thing Lil. I shot the bugger one shot dead!
I walked on over to have me a look at it and it was the damnedest thing.
'The old boy looked just like he was taking a rest on his side. I looked him over and there wasn't a mark on 'im. That old Cougar was stone cold dead. I reckon that shot went clean up his ugly old asshole and out through his mouth .'

Aunt Lil said the next few seconds all she could hear on the line was the clicking of people hanging up in droves."

I laughed.
Different century - same human condition.
Nosey Parkers hear more than they would like.
---------------------------------


Nan Mulhanney: I couldn't help overhearing because I was intentionally eavesdropping.
(
I'll Do Anything (1994))